News is in the air that the MIPS 2023 submission period is not so far from now on. For those clinicians who have waited long during PY 2023, the wait is soon going to be over. Throughout the performance year, an MIPS participant moves from one benchmark to another. Every step they take propels them one step forward towards their final destination. Do you know what the ultimate destination or benchmarks are in the MIPS reporting journey? Well, old MIPS participants are aware of them very well. But the actual confusion is for those who have participated in MIPS 2023 for the first time and are newbies.
This blog will be a guide for the MIPS 2023 participants, providing information about the submission period. Also, for beginner participants, we will try to simplify the event of MIPS 2023 reporting. The coming year is not only the beginning period for submissions but also the start of MIPS 2024 PY.
Now, let’s roll straight into the comprehensive details!
The timeline for MIPS data submission marks a critical time for any MIPS participant. Throughout FY 2023, the clinicians practice different performance category measures and activities. Well, there is a certain data completeness requirement for MIPS 2023 reporting. And for the quality category alone, the data completeness criteria is 70%. So, the participants report data on 70% of eligible encounters, or at least 20 cases, for each measure.
Generally, CMS specifies different ways for data submission in its MIPS official resources. Anyone can check them out on the QPP’s website. CMS keeps modifying MIPS-related news there. Among the available data submission options for MIPS 2023, we have the following:
- MIPS qualified registry (QR) like us
- EHR Vendors
- Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR)
[Note: The CMS web interface is no longer an available data submission option for MIPS 2023 reporting.]
During the performance year, the participants receive their initial eligibility in September. Following it, here comes a time in December, when CMS updates information for MIPS 2023 final eligibility. And after some days, clinicians enter the MIPS submission phase. The submission window opened on January 2 of the year, next to PY, and closed on March 31. Likewise, there are no changes for MIPS 2023 data reporting. All clinicians can submit their Medicare Part B claims data until 8 p.m. ET on March 31, 2024.
Once participants submit to CMS, the next stage is the final score calculation. Before assigning a final score, the data undergoes a strict evaluation by CMS vendors. The final score then determines the faith of MIPS participants in the form of penalties or incentives. However, these payment adjustments to Medicare reimbursements for MIPS 2023 will take place in CY 2025.
Mistakes sometimes occur in human-operated tasks, but this shouldn’t be the case for MIPS submissions. You can never correct your mistakes after the submission window closes. One must be extra-vigilant and proceed with proper planning and full focus. Here are the simplest steps to submit data:
- Open the sign-in page of the Quality Payment Program.
- Enter your QPP access credentials for a successful sign-in.
- Submit your MIPS data for the 2023 performance year. Take care while selecting your PY, and make sure you have picked the right option. You can also sign in merely to review the data reported by any MIPS qualified registry on your behalf.
The MIPS data submission process requires you to adhere to some protocols.
- First of all, you must register in the HCIQS Authorization Roles and Profile (HARP) system. To get enrolled with the HARP, we have a brief guide available on the QPP access user guide. Go and check that guide on QPP’s website straight away.
- Ensure your eligibility for MIPS 2023 reporting before data submission. Do you know that a QP status at any stage of MIPS reporting results in an immediate exemption from the program? Well, certain other factors might occur. Therefore, CMS updates the finalized eligibility status of MIPS participants on the QPP status tool.
- Early submission of reporting data saves ample time for data evaluation. Therefore, CMS encourages early submissions.
MIPS 2023 data submissions are the big event in the reporting timeline. From time to time, CMS updates the information and protocols regarding the submission process. Stay updated with every MIPS-related news story and talk to our experts if you find any confusion. QPP MIPS caters to you with MIPS consulting services for every stage of reporting. Thus, come to us for essential guidelines, as we are an MIPS qualified registry too.
Contact us at (888) 902-1035.